Boat Shed Construction - Part 2

Sailing Bolero has been a major distraction to finishing, or even really starting, the Clearspan Boat Shed that will become Bolero's winter home. But with the stormy winter weather arriving and a haul out appointment set for Saturday, I picked up the project again yesterday.

Before I jump into my adventures, a disclaimer.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional builder. I have made building decisions based on my building site or personal preferences that may not reflect the intent of Clearspan and may not be safe for other situations. In the end you are on you own. This post is for enjoyment only and is not intended as building guidance.

Okay onto the adventure. I gather the tools I thought I would need, packed up the car and headed over to my building site. It was just like I left it after spreading gravel and playing with the layout a bit.



The first thing I wanted to do was lay out the footprint of the shed. The overall dimensions are 14' x 14' x 36'. It is a pretty nice site, but it did contain a fair bit of sloop to the west and a little bit to the south. Some of this Craig helped me level with his bulldozer but the rest I had to fix with my frame pads. But first I need to lay everything out.

I started with the with the east side since there is an existing structure on this side. This became my datum. I ran a string line parallel to Craig's shed and started working on leveling the pads for the east wall of the shed. Craig had made a suggestion that I jumped all over. He suggested that I use rebar to index the frames. This should help in a number of ways. First it locates the pad boards and second it provides some additional support for the frames.




For the pads on the east side I used some extra plastic wood that Craig had scavenged and drilled 5/8 inch holes for the rebar. They are placed on 4 foot centers to accommodate the forthcoming frames.

For the most part this side was pretty straight forward as it was mostly level for and aft. My gravel pad, however, did bulge a bit in the middle and taper of at the fore and aft ends so I had a bit of raking to do (and still more to do) to get this level. But all in all it went well. Here is the completed east pad with the rebar installed and a small section of frame in place.



One of the things about Clearspan shelters, which I knew going in, is that they are"temporary structures". This seems a bit of stretch at times. If you follow their instructions, and warnings, to the letter there will be a fair bit of concrete work (for the anchors and end walls). I have felt from the beginning that if I had my own land I would have definitely built a more conventional structure.



Here is where I left off at the end of the day. I am partially finished with the west side frame pads. I elected to use 4x6 for the west side pads to level the shed.



Today's goal, weather permitting, is to try and finish the west side pads, level the gravel some more and maybe start installing the frame anchors.