Okay, they say gear doesn't matter. And for the most part I totally agree. One of my favorite quotes about gear is from Ansel Adams.
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”
But I fall into the group of photographers who consider photography an artistic craft practiced using tools. And those tools include cameras and lenses and such. So for me I search out gear that gets out of my way and lets me create the images that I see. If a piece of my gear doesn't make a strong contribution to what I want to shoot it won't get much use and will soon be replaced. The less I notice a piece of equipment the better I like it.
Unfortunately this means that every photographer will have a different "ideal" equipment list. But since I often get asked what kind of camera or lens I'm using I thought I would maintain list of my "current" gear.
The letters in () is it's typical use: L-Landscape, A-Astrophotography, C-Commericial & T-Time Lapse
- Sony Alpha A7Rii 42mp Full Frame Camera (L,A,C)
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R 24mp Full Frame Camera w/ Fixed 35mm f/2.0 Lens (L,A,T)
- Sony FDA-EVM1K Electronic Viewfinder for RX1R (L,A,T)
- Really Right Stuff L-Brackets
- Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS (C)
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED (L,A)
- Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt-Shift (L,C)
- Sony FE 28mm f/2 (L,A)
- Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift (L,C)
- Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA (L,A,C)
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS (L,C)
- Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift (L,C)
- Contax Vario-Sonnar T* 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 (L)
- Metabones T Smart Adapter Mark IV for Canon EF
- Metabones Nikon G Lens to Sony NEX
- 5, 7, 10, 13, & 16 Stop Formatt Hitech 82mm ProStop IRND ND Filters (L)
- Hoya Circular Polarizing HD (L,C)
- Gitzo GT2545T Series 2 Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod (L,A,C)
- Really Right Stuff BH-40 Ballhead with Arca Swiss Quick Release Clamp (L,A,C)
- FEISOL CT-3441S Traveler Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod (L,A,C)
- Arca-Swiss d4 Tripod Geared Head with Arca Swiss Quick Release (L,A,C)
- Really Right Stuff TFA-01 Pocket Pod (L,A,T)
- NiceFoto 680W N-Flash Wireless Studio Flash w/ wireless trigger (C)
- (4) Cactus RF60 Wireless Flashes (C)
- (8) Yongnuo YN560-III Speedlite (C)
- Fujifilm EF-X20 Flash (C)
- Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 (C)
- Honl Photo Color Correction Flash Gel Filter Kit (C)
- Westcott Illuminator 14" Silver/White Reflector (C)
- Westcott Illuminator 30: Silver/White Reflector (C)
- (2) Westcott Umbrella - 43" Collapsible Shoot Through (C)
- (2) Westcott Umbrella - 43" Collapsible Reflective (C)
- Photoflex Convertible Umbrella - White Satin with Removable Black Backing - 60" (C)
- Manfrotto 680B Compact Monopod w/ Feet (C)
- Manfrotto MVM250A Aluminum Monopod with Fluid Base (C)
- Benro C-068M8 Travel Angel Carbon Fiber Tripod (C)
- (3) LumoPro LP605 7 Foot Compact Light Stand (C)
- F-Stop Gear Lotus Mountain Series Backpack w/ Large Pro ICU (L,C)
- CourierWare Incognito Messenger Camera Bag
- ThinkTank Photo TurnStyle 10 Sling Bag
- Nanuk 940 Case with Dividers (Backup Gear Storage)
- Pelican 1550 Case with Dividers (Light Equipment) (C)
- Tenba TTP34 TriPak (Light Stands, Monopods & Umbrellas) (C)
I have to confess that I've become a bit disillusioned over the state of "photography" on social media. More and more it seems that the "popular" images are computer generated creations that either blended multiple images that couldn't possibly exist together or super saturated enhancements to create light and color that just didn't ...
Which means it's time to head over to San Juan Island for pie. Oh, wait, there's more to our local fair than pie and the fair continues my busy year of printing. I entered 4 images into this year's fair. So if you're ...
Recently the Terrestrial Manager’s & Madrona Group headed up a San Juan Island License Plate Initiative and sent out a request for local artists to enter the design contest. So after a bit of pondering I selected eight images and mocked them up for the design contest...
There is an idea, which I strongly subscribe to, that bad weather equals good photography. And as I review my images at the end of each year it becomes obvious that summer is my least productive time for landscape "keepers". In truth there are a number of "good" reasons ...
Our fabulous Lopez Island Library has a great tradition of showcasing local artist work. I've always thoroughly enjoy seeing these exhibits so when I was asked if I was interested, I was kind of honored and jumped at the chance. I'll be honest ...
I often use Neutral Density Filters, effectively sunglass for your camera lens, to lengthen my exposure times and create motion in my image. Occasionally I'm ask how and why I use this technique. So I thought I'd throw up a blog post from my recent visit to Palouse Falls showing a
It's been a crazy busy spring and my commercial work has had me heads down so I've been a bit absent from social media and blog posting. But here's a quick update and a coupon for 25% off on notecards to thank y'all for your patience and great support. Just type in ...
If you're trying to figure out what kind of camera you're wanting or needing to buy, I'd wager that you're beginning your journey into photography or are rekindling an old love. If that's indeed the case ...
I thoroughly enjoy posting my personal list of favorite images that I do each year on my blog and my Facebook page. But It's also pretty interesting to see how my supporter "vote with their feet" at my online store. Here's a quick summary of my most popular notecards by number purchased.
I've updated the recent landscape images section of my website to include my fall shoots. Images on my website are of much higher quality with less compression than I can show on social media.
I'm also giving away 3 copies of my 2017 Calendar to my email list members